BLS Provider – formerly known as Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers
Price: $68 New / $63 Renewal (Price includes manual. If you have a current manual, your class will be discounted by $13.)
Please note that we offer a discount for renewal if you have a card that is still current. The class for new and renewal students is the same.
Time: 3.5 Hour Full Class
Course Completion Card: Two year American Heart Association BLS Provider card is issued upon successful completion.
Continuing Education (CE) for Illinois Nurses: A maximum of 3 hours may be accepted for a new or renewal Basic Life Support (BLS) class, an ACLS class, or a PALS class.
Description: This class teaches the skills of CPR & AED for patients of all ages.
The skills covered in this class include:
- Critical concepts of high-quality CPR & AED
- The American Heart Association Chain of Survival
- 1-Rescuer CPR and AED for adult, child and infant
- 2-Rescuer CPR and AED for adult, child and infant
- Differences between adult, child and infant rescue techniques
- Bag-mask techniques for adult, child and infant
- Rescue breathing for adult, child and infant
- Relief of choking for adult, child and infant
- Introduction to CPR for patients with an advanced airway in place
Options available for BLS Certification.
BLS Classroom Course This option is available for anyone new to CPR or anyone who has been previously trained but needs to renew.
E-Learning This option allows for the cognitive portion of the class to be completed online followed by a practice session and skills evaluation.
BLS Challenge BLS Challenges are not classes, but rather appointments in which an instructor will allow experienced providers with current BLS cards to go through the skills of adult / child and infant CPR and use of an AED, without an in-person or on-line class. Please keep in mind that you must go through the American Heart Association CPR protocols, regardless of what protocols you follow in your workplace. Requirements are as follows:
• The current BLS student manual (Hard Copy or E-Manual) must be brought to the testing session.
• The testing session will be stopped at the first point an error is made.
• No remediation will be allowed and students may not reattempt the challenge testing.
• If the student does not pass the challenge testing, no card will be issued and the student will be referred to a provider course.
Please be advised that challenge classes assume you have complete mastery of the subject matter. Practice prior to the evaluation and coaching by the instructor are expressly prohibited by the American Heart Association. Please make sure that you are completely prepared to perform the skills before your schedule an appointment.
No refunds will be given if the evaluation is not passed. If you have questions about exactly what will be expected in a challenge session, please feel free to call our office.
AHA Disclaimer – The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in BLS, ACLS, and PALS and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the Association.